The Largest Journalism Job Fair in the U.S.
The Career Expo showcases the wide range of news organizations operating today, from legacy media to digital startups and national, regional and hyperlocal outlets, general news, single issue/topic-focused and investigative websites producing content in a variety of media including text, video, photo, audio, and data visualizations.
Employers seek candidates to cover a range of subject areas. Companies that attend the Expo are seeking to fill:
- Full‐time positions
- Part-time positions
- Paid Fellowships
- Paid Internships
- Freelance, contract and stringer positions
- Freelance assignments
In spring 2020, amid the Covid-19 crisis, we held our first Virtual Expo with 232 editors, producers and recruiters from 130 news outlets who came to interview, mentor and hire our graduating students. Nearly 2,300 video interviews and phone calls took place, with employers and students connecting from locations around the globe. In 2019, 158 news outlets participated, making it the biggest Expo in the school's history.
In 2019, 158 news operations took part in the Career Expo on campus, making it the biggest Expo in the school's history.
Each Virtual Career Expo takes place online. All interviews take place over video conferencing that is included with your registration. All you need is an Internet connection to participate. Once registered, you will be provided with a personalized schedule and instructions for and assistance with setting up your virtual company booth. Attending the Expo is easy and convenient. On the day of the Career Expo, all you will have to do is click a link and log in to start engaging with our students.
Schedule: Each Virtual Career Expo is a two-day event. The times below are EST.
|7 a.m.||VIRTUAL HELP DESK OPENS|
|7:30 a.m.||EXPO EARLY HOURS
To accommodate companies outside the Eastern Standard Time zone, employers can complete pre-scheduled 1:1 interviews with students during Expo Early Hours.
|8:50 a.m.||EMPLOYER CHECK-IN|
|9 a.m.||SCHEDULED INTERVIEWS BEGIN|
|10:30 a.m.||SCHEDULED INTERVIEWS RESUME|
|12:10 p.m.||LUNCH BREAK|
|1:15 p.m.||SCHEDULED INTERVIEWS RESUME|
|2:30 p.m.||WALK-UP INTERVIEWS START|
|5 p.m.||WALK-UP INTERVIEWS END|
|5 p.m.||EXPO EXTRA HOURS
To accommodate companies outside the Eastern Standard Time zone and editors who prefer to interview candidates after hours, employers can complete pre-scheduled 1:1 interviews with students during Expo Extra Hours.
|8 p.m.||SCHEDULED INTERVIEWS RESUME|
|9:20 p.m.||EXPO ENDS|
|9:45 p.m.||VIRTUAL HELP DESK CLOSES|
Format: We offer employers the choice of selecting all walk-up interviews or a combination schedule of customized appointments and an open walk-up period in the afternoon. The combination of matches and walk-ups is an efficient process that maximizes employers’ contact with potential applicants. It is a winning format that most employers like very much and have encouraged us to repeat year after year. However, some employers prefer walk-up interviews all day. Just let us know when you register.
- Customized Appointments: We match employers with students for a roster of 20-minute interviews based on student preferences and the profile of special skills and expertise you tell us you are looking for in candidates when you register.
- Walk-Up Meetings: Blocks of time when your schedule is open (no appointments scheduled by the Careers team at Columbia). Students are free to walk up or queue up in line to visit your booth for interviews. Employers may conduct interviews of any length during walk ups. Walk ups are a crucial part of the Expo that gives students open access to all employers. Every year, dozens of students find jobs, internships or freelance assignments as a result of a walk-up interview.
Registration opens in January 2021
Cost: $150 per news outlet. The registration fee covers ALL recruiting sessions!
The Career Expo is heavily underwritten by Columbia Journalism School to keep the cost of attending as low as possible.
- Virtual Company Booth and access to our video conference platform. Once you register, you will receive information for and assistance with setting up your virtual company booth. All you need is an internet connection to participate.
- Personalized schedule of 20-minute interviews with our graduating students.
- Our custom matching service: We match employers with students based on student preferences and the profile of special skills and expertise you tell us you are looking for in candidates when you register.
- Flexible schedule: Employers can choose a schedule that includes customized appointments and an open walk-up period or a schedule of all walk-up interviews. The combination of matches and walk-ups is an efficient process that maximizes employers’ contact with potential applicants. It is a winning format that most employers like very much and have encouraged us to repeat year after year.
- Digital Resume Book
Meet Our Students
The Career Expo is limited to the graduating students of Columbia Journalism School. The class of 2021 will be graduating in May 2021 and August 2021.
Students graduating in May 2021 and attending the April Expo include:
- M.S. Journalism: includes Stabile Investigative and Visual Craft specializations
- M.A. Journalism: Experienced journalists specializing in coverage of Arts & Culture, Business & Economics, Politics or Science.
- Dual Degree: includes M.S. Journalism & M.S. Computer Science
- Knight-Bagehot Fellows in Economics and Business Journalism
Students graduating in August 2021 and attending the June Expo include:
- M.S. Journalism: includes Documentary specialization
- M.S. Data Journalism
- M.A. Journalism: Experienced journalists specializing in coverage of Arts & Culture, Business &; Economics, Politics or Science.
Our students are a pluralistic, multilingual and multinational group with diverse life experiences, journalistic interests and skills. They will enrich your newsrooms and communities as they venture forth to tell deeper, more complete stories that matter. This year’s group includes military veterans, former lawyers, teachers and business analysts, recent undergraduates, journalists with significant experience and many others.
Our students are trained in reporting across all media platforms, with a range of skills, including video, photo, audio and digital production, investigative techniques, data-driven reporting, computer programming and audience engagement. All students graduate with a toolbox of investigative skills, including how to obtain and analyze public records and data and get information about individuals and groups using a variety of sources and social media for reporting and verification.
The Class of 2021 by the Numbers, as of Summer 2020:
16 M.S. Data Journalism students. Students collect, process and analyze data for stories and visualizations. Three-semester program; first cohort graduated in May 2019.
29 M.A. Journalism students. Experienced journalists specialize in coverage of Arts & Culture, Business & Economics, Politics or Science.
8 Dual Degree in Journalism and Computer Science students. Students work with cutting-edge tools at the intersection of journalism and technology. Two-year program at the Journalism and Engineering schools.
28 Ph.D. in Communications students
44 Countries represented.
Need to recruit before or after the Expo? We can assist you with your year-round recruiting efforts:
- Interview Days Employers who would like to interview our students are welcome to schedule a visit to campus or arrange virtual interview sessions. We will provide a meeting location, notify students and assist you in scheduling interviews.
- Meet the Media If you'd like to tell students about your company, we host in-person and virtual brown‐bag informational sessions with students all year.
To set up your recruiting efforts, please contact us.